13th August 2021 | QuantuMDx Team
The Associate Bioinformatician will work within the Assay Team to develop point of care molecular diagnostic assays and associated technologies. It is an opportunity for candidates with background in bioinformatics to contribute on projects leading to the development of diagnostic assays for the Q-POC™ platform and in doing so advance their career. Based at Lugano Building, Newcastle upon Tyne. This role reports to the Senior Bioinformatician.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
This role requires an Associate Bioinformatician to support the senior Bioinformatician in general tasks such as software development, database maintenance and report generation.
You will assist the QuantuMDx Group commercialisation program by working within the Assay Team to design assays for the Company’s diagnostic platform, the Q-POC™.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be involved across a wide area of responsibilities. A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges is essential as the company grows and projects expand.
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties, the successful candidate will be expected to:
- Work within the Assay Team to deliver molecular diagnostic product pipeline.
- Attend regular lab meetings.
- Be familiar with public reference sources such as GISAID and NCBI databases.
- Be familiar with NextGen sequencing and associated pipelines.
- Collate and annotate reference sequences across multiple microorganisms.
- Be confident using python and Jupyter Lab books as a working and application development environment along with GIT as a version control system.
- Generate, record, manipulate, analyse and present complex data to line manager, colleagues, senior management and external partners.
- Assist in report writing and generation of SOP’s.
- Maintain records, logs and or databases of analyses for regulatory reporting purposes.
- Undertake periodic in silico review of existing assay designs to confirm ongoing suitability of the assay for VOC, VUI and variants being monitored.
- Work on collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for bioinformatics.
- Keep up to date with the literature on point of care diagnostics, assay design, infectious disease diagnostics and other relevant areas.
- Work within the quality systems following GDP and ISO 13485 standards.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- MSc degree or equivalent in a relevant subject (i.e. bioinformatics, computer science or statistics).
- Relevant experience in bioinformatics with a strong knowledge of microbial genomics .
- Familiarity with sequencing data (Sanger and NGS) and standard bioinformatics tools (alignment, variant calling, assembly etc.)
- Experience in data manipulation and analysis of large genomic datasets.
- Knowledge and competence in Python, Docker, Git, Linux, MySQL or similar software development tool.
- Knowledge of nucleic acid amplification and detection chemistries.
- Knowledge of statistics.
- Ability to work to the Quality Management Systems in line with ISO13485 standards.
- Excellent work ethic and strong communication skills.
- Ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Previous experience in the design and development of diagnostic devices
- Demonstrated ability to lead collaborative projects with external partners.
- Previous experience in an industry or start-up setting.
- Previous experience in the validation and verification of molecular diagnostic assays
- Hands on experience with the manipulation and development of PCR chemistries for diagnostic tests.
- Knowledge of infectious diseases and their diagnosis.
- GPU programming.
To apply for this role, please complete the form below and attach your CV. Thank you.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.