The Senior Embedded Software Engineer will develop software for both our Q-POC™ platform and internal research platforms, in addition to liaising with our engineering and software partners across the globe to realise the Q-POC™ platform.
The Senior Embedded Software Engineer will work within a team of scientists and other engineers developing software for the operation of molecular diagnostic devices. This work may encompass bespoke hardware control, data and image analysis, peripheral driver code, such as to control different types of actuators, and overall system control firmware to sequence and schedule instrument operations.
The role carries significant design responsibility and ownership of core control firmware responsible for critical diagnostic functions of the Q-POC™ platform. The ideal candidate is someone with a great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, in a highly collaborative manner. Key responsibilities will be the creation and maintenance of device-based control software to 62304 standards. This will involve regular design meetings and the creation of extensive automation testing suites.
Performing a combination, as well as others as directed from time to time, of the following duties:
- Working in a team environment to develop C++/Linux based applications designed to run on Embedded Medical Devices.
- The Senior Developer will be required to take on architectural analysis and design as required, in addition to daily code development. This will be in conjunction with the Development Lead to ensure systems integrate and allow testability.
- Analyse requirements to ensure clarity and testability and ensure acceptance criteria fully describe the needs of the application.
- Leadership of development sub-projects is a key requirement, with the ability to lead small development teams and communicate with the wider department.
- As a more senior member of the team, the jobholder will be required to mentor Associate Developers where required, assisting with their understanding of the requirements and ensuring they follow the software processes.
- All development is carried out in an Agile development environment. Developers are required to follow development processes relevant to medical device standards. All work is fully documented and tested.
- Strong communication abilities; to work with other disciplines such as Engineering or Electronics and to collaborate with other members of the development team.
- A great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows is a quality the role demands.
- Must adhere to all of QuantuMDx’s Quality Assurance (QA) and Development Processes and correctly utilise core development support tools such as git, JIRA and Confluence.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
- Strong C++14 development experience.
- Experience of micro-service based architecture, ideally MQTT.
- Proven full life-cycle capabilities, in particular: design, build test and maintenance of embedded software.
- Experience of embedded firmware development and interfacing with bespoke hardware
- Experience working closely with electronics engineers.
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a dynamic environment on complex, fast-paced projects, interacting with both internal and external partners.
- Minimum BEng/BSc (or equivalent) in a Computer Science, Computer Science and Electronics, or Software Engineering degree is highly desirable.
- Medical device development experience (ISO 13485 / IEC 62304 compliant)
- Ability to debug software down to board level using equipment such as oscilloscopes, multi-meters and logic analysers
- Product and software development experience in the life science/biotech arena.
- Experience developing under agile software practices whilst conforming to a quality system would be beneficial
QuantuMDx is a progressive MedTech company passionate about empowering the world to control disease and reduce suffering. QuantuMDx solves real-world diagnostic problems by creating multiplex molecular solutions for the Point of Need, for anyone, anywhere. QuantuMDx has global operations and strategic partnerships – keeping it at the forefront of molecular diagnostics.
The Q-POC™ platform is a rapid, simple to use, portable, sample to answer multiplex PCR device. It has been designed for use in a range of real-world settings, such as hospitals, clinics, pharmacies, dentistry, workplaces and in the field, providing accurate PCR results at the Point of Need.
Q-POC™ and its first test, a SARS-CoV-2 multiplex detection assay, are CE-IVD marked under the In Vitro Diagnostics Directive (98/79/EC), enabling use within Europe. It tests multiple targets of the disease for a future proof COVID-19 testing solution at the Point of Need.
QuantuMDx plans to launch a range of syndromic multiplex testing assays over the coming months and years.
Apply for this role
To apply for this role, please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org, attach your cover letter and CV. Thank you.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.