Senior Mechanical Engineer
9th December 2021
Senior Mechanical Engineer
QuantuMDx are offering an exciting opportunity of Senior Mechanical Engineer to develop engineering solutions for research and commercial development across our platforms, and to liaise with partners across the globe to realize the Q-POC™ platform.
A key success factor for this position is the ability to work in a fast paced, cross functional group environment, with a willingness to be hands-on across a wide area of responsibilities.
This ideal candidate is someone with diverse experience and great capacity and desire for taking on new responsibilities and challenges as the company grows. They will be involved in design, build and testing of our prototypes, and providing in-field global support. As a senior engineer, they will be comfortable and competent mentoring and training junior members of the engineering team.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
The candidate hired for this role will work within a team of scientists and engineers developing QuantuMDx’s portable molecular diagnostic device and molecular diagnostics assays for a range of diseases. They will be competent to take a lead technical role in the mechanical design of QuantuMDx’s devices.
The candidate will also be required to not only work within and ensure excellent communication with the development team based in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, but also work as part of a wider research group, with QuantuMDx’s other laboratories and partners globally.
Adhere to all of QuantuMDx’s Quality Assurance (QA) Systems.
Experience, knowledge and requirements
The candidate hired for this role will be an extraordinary individual who has strong technical understanding and experience in engineering design for life science instrumentation and microfluidics, and a proven ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers to accomplish product development goals.
- Experience with a 3D CAD system, preferably SolidWorks v2017
- Experience of calculations software, eg Mathcad
- Experience of 2D CAD software, ideally AutoCAD
- Understanding of the dimensioning, tolerancing and surface characteristics necessary for microfluidics.
- Knowledge of techniques for design for manufacture, assembly and maintenance.
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects.
- Understanding of appropriate manufacturing processes.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a changing environment on complex projects.
- Outstanding teamwork and an ability to interact with external and internal partners on fast-paced projects.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience working in product engineering with experience of life science instrumentation, 10 years’ experience from an alternative industry.
- MEng or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
- Achieved, or working towards Charted Mechanical Engineer status
- Understanding of materials for microfluidics.
- Good sense of humour, team player and an ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment as the company matures and moves from the R&D stage into commercialization.
- Experience of running projects and supervising other engineers
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction.
- Practical engineering workshop skills
- Experience with flow and thermal simulation.
- Experience with microfluidics
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements.
- Familiarity with global regulatory requirements
QuantuMDx is a UK-based developer of transformational point-of-care diagnostics, with global operations.
QuantuMDx has developed Q-POC™ – a rapid, portable, PCR point of care diagnostic system. Q-POC™ compresses an entire molecular diagnostic laboratory into a simple to use, accessible and affordable single device, for use at the point of care, with results in approximately 30 minutes. Q-POC™ has been designed for front-line healthcare professionals within a wide range of settings, including emergency rooms, ICU and birthing centers, clinics and pharmacies. Patients are tested, diagnosed and given treatment options in one efficient consultation.
Our first Q-POC™ test detects SARS-CoV-2, the virus causing COVID-19.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
"*" indicates required fields